Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter Hair 2011: Sulfate Free Shampoo


I feel like lately there has been a lot of information about sulfates in shampoos. Even back when I was a teen and seeing a hair dresser, they told my mom to find sulfate-free shampoo to cut back on the dryness. In the 90's it was hard to find shampoos that were sulfate- free and in the family budget. Now, there are over 500 shampoos on the market and many that are in supermarkets but less than a handful are sulfate-free. Whats up with that?
So what is the big deal with sulfates in shampoos?
For one, sulfates can cause dryness and as a woman with relaxed hair and dry scalp, the last thing I need is extra dryness, especially in the winter!
There is a long list of great sulfate free shampoos, I encourage you to look up and see which SLS free shampoos would work for you. I've heard great things about John Masters Organics Shampoos but while browsing Whole Foods last month, I decided to try Avalon Organics Lavender Nourishing Shampoo.
The results have been quite a change since I'm so used to suds galore, now there are little to no suds and upon the rest of the hair care routine ( conditioning and blow drying), I saw little to know dandruff flakes from my scalp. This could come from a number of new changes to my hair routine but what I'm seeing so far is working!

disclaimer: product was purchased by me

No comments: