Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to care for your Summer Jelly Sandals



Having purchased the new loves of my life- the Givenchy Jelly Sandals earlier this summer, they have accumulated as much mileage as my brother’s Honda Accord. Plus, since I wanted the clay/ taupe color, my sandals have been scrubbed with what New York City’s Subways, sidewalks and parks have to offer ( mmm, gross-ness).
I know a vast majority of Jelly Sandal holders them in a deeper color, use this method but with out bleach.

This past weekend I was on a serious cleaning spree, and while the apartment got a good washdown, so did my sandals.

How is this done? Well first my mom clued me into diluting bleach with my favorite all purpose cleaner- Dr. Bronner’s soap. Again, If you have dark or black sandals- I suggest using this method without bleach!

I filled a bucket with ¼ cup of bleach and ½ cup of the castile soap and the rest was water.
Soak the sandals for 5 minutes and start to scrub with a scrub brush- I use a spare nail brush or an old face scrubbing brush.
Rinse water over the sandal and air dry- I like to set my sandals at an angle with the heel vertical against the wall and the front of the shoe on the ground in a \ motion so that the back of the sandal laces will dry quicker.

After a few hours, I had clean new sandals, fresh laces and no NYC icky-ness.

Do you have a method for cleaning your summer sandals?

No comments: